How to fix "AdsApp is not defined" error
Posted 9 months ago
This error is caused by 1 of 3 things:
1) Google Ads Bug
2) You're not in Google Ads
3) You've installed a single-account script at Manager Level
1) Google Ads "new experience" bug
If you're in Google Ads and in the appropriate account type it's probably a Google Ads bug.
Where this is the issue, the error is usually on line 1. The error will say "ReferenceError: AdsApp is not defined (line 1)".
The fix is to create a new copy of the script.
- Rename the script, appending OLD to the end (or whatever you like)
- Go back to Scripts
- Click the + icon to create a new script
- Paste in the script, preview, and authorize
- Give it the same name as the previous script (optional)
You can then disable the old script.
- Remove the schedule (frequency) from the old script
- Set up the schedule on the new script
- Update any links to the script
"AdsApp' only exists in Google Ads Scripts.
It isn't available within Google Apps Scripts which can be standalone or attached to a Google Spreadsheet.
Fix: make sure you're in Google Ads (the url should say ads.google.com...)
3) You've installed a single-account script at manager level
Fix: open up the account then add the script.
For the unaware, a manager account is an umbrella account which can't directly serve ads. If you don't have a manager account, this won't be the issue.
One way of telling if you're at manager level is to click Tools & Settings. Under Setup if you can see "API Center" then you're at Manager level.
You'll also see "Accounts" in the left sidebar at Manager level.